First of all I have to say, HAPPY HOLIDAYS! Here in Scotland the school summer holidays have begun and I am delighted to have 6 weeks to myself to relax, de-stress and get ready for the next busy year. To top it all off, the weather has been glorious and I have been enjoying the (rare) Scottish sunshine over the weekend – what a treat!
I have also been celebrating my own birthday by getting busy in the kitchen. I have definitely reached and age where no one bakes me a cake anymore (sob!) so I usually take it upon myself to make something yummy.
This year I was a little bit lazy and just used my most simple vanilla cupcake recipe but decided to experiment with a lemon frosting, practising my previously discussed poor icing skills. I have to say, however, that I was pretty pleased with the results.
I went with a yellow-theme to go with the lemon frosting and decorated each cupcake differently. I just raided my baking cupboard to see what I could find lurking in there. I took the cupcakes to work and shared them with my brilliant nursery team – they seemed to be well received so I can only assume that everyone liked them!
If you have a spare hour and want to try and make your own, here’s what to do:
Vanilla Cupcakes with Lemon Frosting
- 225g butter
- 225g sugar
- 225g flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 125g butter
- 125g cream cheese
- 1-2tsp lemon juice (depending on how lemony you want it)
- approx. 250-300g icing sugar (depends on the consistency you want for icing)
- Cream the butter and sugar
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract then beat.
- Add the flour and mix.
- Share out the mix into individual cupcake cases (approx. 12)
- Bake in a pre-heated oven (160 ◦C) for 8-12 minutes.
- Allow the cakes to cool on a wire rack.
- Beat the butter and cream cheese together
- Add the lemon juice and some of the icing sugar, mixing it all together.
- Keep adding icing sugar until you reach the desired consistency (I’m still learning what right consistency is!)
- Use a piping bag and a nozzle of your own choice to ice the cakes.
- Decorate as desired.
If you try my recipe let me know. Maybe you could share some photos of your cakes?