Today I am sharing with you something of a phenomenon…certainly amongst friends and family. This is a recipe I stumbled across on Pinterest and tried out for desert one day when my mum and sisters came to visit. Little did I know just how amazing and delicious this would turn out and how in demand it would become! I am receiving requests from everyone I know to make them a batch and as for Mr B, well, let’s just say his waistline isn’t getting any smaller…
Now, I am aware that this is not a dessert or biscuit that looks like anything extraordinary, however when you take a bite you realise just how wonderfully yummy it is! The best bit is that it’s super simple to make and can be eaten warm as a dessert (maybe with cream or custard) or it can be eaten cold as a tray-bake biscuit! Win-win!!
- 450g butter
- 130g caster sugar
- 200g icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 520g self-raising flour
- 2 bags of wrapped fudge sweets
- 120ml double cream
- ‘lumpy’ salt (sea-salt)
- Beat the butter and sugars together until soft and creamy
- Add the vanilla extract and beat again
- Slowly add the flour, a few spoonfuls at a time, mixing together as you do.
- Once you have added all the flour you should have a crumbly dough.
- Press around half the dough into a greased baking tin. Place the rest of the dough in the fridge.
- Bake in a medium oven for around 20 minutes
- Remove from oven and allow to cool
- Unwrap the fudge sweets and melt in the microwave
- Add the cream and stir together. Re-warm in the microwave if the fudge is beginning to harden again.
- Pour the fudge mixture on top of the cooked base (still in the baking tin)
- Sprinkle with the ‘lumpy’ salt
- Remove the remaining dough mixture from the fridge and crumble on top of the fudge.
- Return to the oven and bake for around 20 minutes until golden brown, but still soft.
So there you are – the perfect winter dessert recipe which doubles up as an amazing treat with a cup of tea! Yummy yummy! Let me know if you give the recipe a try – I’d love to hear what you think!!