I made these cupcakes to go along with the pampering kits I made for Mother’s Day (you can find them here), however they weren’t a great success in terms of looks or consistency. They still tasted amazing though and I suppose that’s the main thing!!
The kind of toffee I used was far too sticky once it was cooked in the cupcakes. I used a bag of toffee sweets chopped into chunks but I really should have tried honeycomb pieces or a broken up Crunchie instead. The other problem was that the icing was too runny. Even after an hour in the fridge it was difficult to pipe and it just kind of fell flat (I photographed the best ones but even they aren’t great). Despite all this the taste was fantastic so I went ahead and gave them to my mum anyway. Between her and my sisters the cakes disappeared pretty quick so I can only assume that they were fine!
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and warm
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon instant coffee made up into 1/2 cup hot coffee
- 1/2 cup toffee (I would suggest broken up Crunchie)
- 5 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- I cup unsalted butter, diced and softened
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup caramel condensed milk
- Heat the oven to 160 degrees C.
- Mix together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
- Add the butter, eggs, and vanilla and beat on medium speed.
- Add the butter and egg mixture to the dry ingredients and beat.
- Add the hot coffee and beat again until the mixture is smooth. The batter will be thin enough to pour.
- Divide it evenly among cupcake cases in a tray.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes.
- Combine egg whites and sugar in a bowl placed over simmering water. Heat mixture to cook the egg while whisking constantly.
- Whisk on medium speed until mixture cools and doubles in volume.
- Add butter in one piece at a time, mixing to incorporate after each addition. Add the salt and vanilla and mix.
- Add the caramel sauce and mix.
This recipe requires improvement to change the way the cupcakes look, but who cares? Its all about the taste, right?