Firstly I have to apologise for not blogging at all last week. I came down with tonsillitis and spent the weekend recovering. I’m feeling much better now but I had a horrible couple of days where I wasn’t sleeping and was really sore so I couldn’t face anything creative at all. I snuggled up on the sofa with copious amounts of tea and throat spray! My life is just so glamorous! Haha!
Anyway, now that I am back to normal and feeling fit and well I thought that a blog post was well overdue. This recipe is absolutely AMAZING, even if I do say so myself! I am a HUGE rhubarb fan but normally just end up making the traditional rhubarb crumble when I get my hands on some. I was looking for something a bit different to try and so I tried out the awesome recipe and fell in love!!
They perhaps don’t look like anything special, but as soon as you pop a piece inside your mouth the flavours just hit you and you can’t stop eating! These were a big hit with Mr B too and he has made several requests for me to make them again. If you want to try them for yourself, here’s the recipe:
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup soft butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 7 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 5 cups finely chopped rhubarb
- 200g cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- In a bowl mix the flour and sugar together.
- Rub in the butter until the mixture looks a bit like breadcrumbs.
- Press into a greased baking tray.
- Bake at 350° for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for filling, combine sugar and flour in a bowl. Whisk in cream and eggs. Stir in the rhubarb. Pour over crust. Bake at 180°C for 40-45 minutes or until custard is set.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the tray.
- For the topping, beat the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla together until the mixtures is smooth
- Fold in whipped cream.
- Spread the mixture over the top.
- Cover and chill for at least two hours.
- Cut into bars and remove from the tray.
Hope you manage to give this a try!